The Sisters of Mercy founded St. Bernard’s Hospital in 1887. The first Mercy Hospital was then built to serve as an acute care facility in 1902. The two facilities merged in 1965.
Six years later in 1971, the Mercy Hospital of today
was built as a 284-bed acute care hospital along with a 40-bed mental health
facility. The combination of Mercy Hospital, Bergan Mercy Medical Center and
Immanuel Health Systems formed Alegent Health in 1996.
In the fall of 2006, Mercy Hospital began a $3.7 million renovation and expansion project to the second and fourth floors that will provide an even higher level of comfort and privacy during a patient’s stay. Once completed, the transformation on each of these floors will feature private patient rooms; warm, inviting family lounges; and an overall home-like atmosphere aimed at promoting patient-centered care.
Mercy Hospital nurses also have distinguished themselves by achieving Magnet Status, the profession’s gold standard for nursing excellence. Out of 6,000 hospitals nationwide, Mercy Hospital ranks in the top two percent (160 hospitals) to receive this prestigious distinction. The Magnet Recognition Program serves as the ultimate benchmark for consumers to measure the quality of nursing care they can expect to receive. Patient satisfaction survey results also rank Mercy Hospital’s Emergency Department number one in the nation for overall quality of care.
The hospital’s Joint Replacement Center has established itself as a leader by receiving the 2006 Premier Award for Quality. Mercy Hospital was selected out of approximately 400 hospitals as an industry leader after scoring high marks in the areas of length of stay, pain management, surgical outcomes, data management and overall operational efficiency.
In May, Mercy Hospital opened a new state-of-the-art Cardiac Catheterization lab, allowing cardiologists at Mercy to perform procedures that they were unable to accommodate before – such as heart catheterizations, coronary interventions including balloon angioplasty and stenting, as well as implantation of pacemakers and defibrillators. The $1.8 million project included the addition of the latest technology, such as digital acquisition and flat-panel monitors. These monitors will allow cardiologists to view higher quality images of the heart and arteries, making blockage detection much easier. The new 850-square-foot Cath Lab is located between the emergency department and critical care units.
Healthcare services at Mercy Hospital include:
Home Care/Hospice/DME/Infusion Therapy
Chest Pain Center
Some facts about the
284 licensed beds
182 physicians on active staff
210 full-time RNs
610 full-time employees