Breast cancers are potentially life-threatening malignancies that develop in one or both breasts. The structure of the female breast is important in understanding this cancer:
- The interior of the female breast consists mostly of fatty and fibrous connective tissues.
- It is divided into about 20 sections called lobes.
- Each lobe is further subdivided into a collection of lobules, structures that contain small milk-producing glands.
- These glands secrete milk into a complex system of tiny ducts. The ducts carry the milk through the breast and converge in a collecting chamber located just below the nipple.
- Breast cancer is either noninvasive (referred to as in situ, confined to the site of origin) or invasive (spreading).
Certain risk factors can increase the chances of developing breast cancer.
Risk factors for breast cancer include:
Lifestyle factors include:
- being older than 55
- being a woman
- family history of breast cancer
- genetic factors
- previous radiation to the chest
- first period at an early age
- starting menopause late (after 55)
- dense breast tissue
- drinking more than 2 alcoholic beverages a day
- lack of physical activity
- weight gain after menopause
- having children after the age of 30 or not at all
Breast Health Center
1 in 8 women will develop breast cancer, so early detection is key. That's why the Alegent Creighton Breast Health Centers offer technology and staff specifically dedicated to your breast health and well-being in a beautiful space that is welcoming and comfortable. Services include a clinical exam and mammogram.
Breast Cancer Treatment
We understand this is a difficult time for you and your family. That’s why we offer a variety fo treatment programs to all of our oncology patients in the Alegent Creighton Health system.
Cancer Medical Team: multi-disciplinary team of highly skilled professionals who treat more cancer patients than any other health care provider in the Nebraska.
Nurse Navigator Program: A single point of contact who will be there with you every step of the way.
Clinical Trials: Studies are available for cancer control, cancer prevention and cancer treatment.
Image Recovery Center: an appearance-enhancement program designed to help you copy with some of the physical side effects of cancer treatment.