If you or a loved one have been diagnosed with cancer and would like to receive a second opinion from the Alegent Health Cancer Center, or if you are a physician who would like to refer a patient, please send us your contact information using the Cancer Second Opinion Request Form or call 1-(402)-717-2273 or 1-866-403-2273.
Your cancer treatment: Get a qualified second opinion
After you receive a cancer diagnosis, you will likely have many questions. It’s helpful to obtain as much information as possible to make informed decisions about your cancer management and treatment in order to feel confident about your care. Getting a second opinion from the Alegent Health Cancer Center can help with these concerns.
Priority appointment times have set aside by our multidisciplinary cancer team for the Second Opinion Program. All of our physicians are board certified, and our oncology nurse coordinators will work with you to determine which specialists will best fit your needs.
You Should Seek a Second Opinion If…
- You want to confirm the diagnosis
- You want to be informed about all of your treatment options
- You have been offered several treatment alternatives including surgery and do not know which one to choose
- You want to be reassured about your care
- You have questions about the risks associated with treatment and possible side effects
- You have questions regarding the length of treatment and how long it will take you to recover
- All of your questions have not been answered
What is the Second Opinion Program?
The Second Opinion Program offers patients diagnosed with cancer, and their families, the opportunity to meet with Alegent Health cancer experts to ask questions about their diagnosis and treatment options.
The Second Opinion Program is not an online service, although for convenience, you may wish to provide us contact information online using the Cancer Second Opinion Request Form. Our physician's opinions are based on visiting with you and your loved ones, as well as a physical exam and your health records.
The patient will need to make an appointment, with the help of a nurse coordinator, and travel to one of the Alegent Health Cancer Center Second Opinion Program campuses.
Where is the Second-Opinion Program located?
The program is available at five Alegent Health campuses in the Omaha/Council Bluffs metropolitan area:
- Bergan Mercy Medical Center
- Immanuel Medical Center
- Mercy Hospital in Council Bluffs
- Midlands Hospital in Papillion
- Lakeside HealthPark.
What are the steps to request a second opinion?
- You may provide contact information in the Cancer Second Opinion Request Form or call 1-(402)-717-CARE(2273) or 1-866-402-CARE(2273)
- A nurse coordinator will contact you within 24 business hours for additional information. An appointment can be scheduled and that time, and the patient can be seen within two to five business days.
- The nurse will explain what to bring to the appointment, which may include: X-rays, laboratory and other tests as well as medical records.
Alegent Health adheres to the strictest guidelines regarding a patient’s privacy and confidentiality.
Will my insurance pay for a second opinion?
Will you send a copy of the cancer second opinion to my local doctor?
Many insurance companies do provide for second opinions. It is your responsibility to find out what is and is not covered by your health insurance plan. Uncovered expenses are the patient’s responsibility. The Alegent Health Cancer Center will make every effort to provide care for you and will not allow financial concerns to hinder your care.
The consultation report will be sent only to the person(s) that you designate. When you request a cancer second opinion, you will be asked if you want copies of the second opinion report sent to your primary care physician. If so, you will be asked to provide your physician's name and full address to the nurse coordinator. While physician referrals are gladly accepted, a physician referral is not required for your evaluation in the Alegent Health Cancer Center Second Opinion Program.
Business hours for the Alegent Health Cancer Center Second Opinion Program are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST. However, you may complete the Cancer Second Opinion Request Form any time of day or night, or speak to a representative by calling 1-800-ALEGENT (1-800-253-4368) 24 hours per day, 7 days a week.