Choosing between a weight loss program and bariatric surgery? How much weight do you need to lose? Do you have certain medical conditions that necessitate losing a significant amount of weight? These are questions that you should discuss with your doctor.
Bariatric surgery works by reducing the size of the stomach, so you feel fuller faster. Depending on the type of procedure, some patients who have bariatric surgery lose more than 100 pounds, and as much as 200 pounds in weight. Some patients reach a normal weight, while others remain overweight, but less overweight than before. Regardless of whether you choose a weight loss program or surgery, diet, exercise and lifestyle modification are important components.
Reasons to Lose Weight
There are many reasons for losing weight. Researchers are continually finding additional health benefits to maintaining a healthy weight. Here are some you may have been thinking about:
- To look better- Maybe you have a reunion, wedding, or other special occasion that you want to look your best for?
- To feel better -Maybe you want to feel better in your clothes? But, think about this. Each pound you lose takes 3 pounds of strain off your knees. A ten pound weight loss causes 30 to 50 pounds of extra stress to be relieved from the joints. For every 20 lbs. you lose, it relieves 200 lbs. of strain from your back! (Source: Arthritis Foundation)
- To move better -Maybe you'd like to get though a shopping trip or vacation without getting tired out?
- To sleep better -Sleep apnea is a condition in which a person stops breathing repeatedly during their sleep. It can be weight-related. Additional fat around the neck may make the airway narrower, making obstructions more likely to occur. For some overweight people, especially those with mild cases, losing weight can be an effective treatment. Or weight loss may reduce the severity of the sleep apnea. (Source: American Sleep Apnea Association)
- To fit in - Have you traveled in an airplane's Coach Class section lately? It seems to be getting smaller all the time. Amusement park rides or theatre seats are no exeception.
- To reduce the need for medications - Losing just about any amount of weight can have a positive impact on health. If you are on medication, you may be able to cut down or eliminate it altogether. Many of our patients have.
- To head off future health problems -Perhaps you have elevated blood sugar levels. Even if you are not currently experiencing high cholesterol, high blood pressure, osteoarthritis or other elevated risk factors, the chances that you will are greatly increased over time. You may be able to prevent further medical problems by losing weight now.
Click here if you're ready to get started.