Faith Community Nursing (or Parish Nursing, Congregational Nursing) is the intentional integration of the practice of faith with the practice of nursing so people can achieve wholeness in, with and through the faith community. Faith Community Nurses are health advocates. They educate and motivate people to take positive action regarding wellness, prevention, and appropriate treatment of illness. They integrate social and spiritual connections with God, one another, and community.
Faith Community Nursing is recognized as a specialty practice by the American Nurses Association. Faith Community Nurses are spiritually mature registered nurses who volunteer or are hired within a congregation. Their work, flowing from the mission and vision of the congregation, supports the ongoing transformation of the faith community into a source of health and healing. Faith Community Nurses strive to promote healthy lifestyles for all ages, advocate for excellent care of the sick, and encourage healthcare justice. They recognize spiritual health is at the core of a person’s well-being and offer a sense of hope for individuals with a disease, being aware that healing can happen without cure.
What is the Scope of Practice for a Faith Community Nurse?
- Integration of faith and health
- Health promotion and education
- Health counseling
- Volunteer coordination
- Support group development
- Advocacy for individuals and the congregation/community Criteria for Network Membership for FCN:
- Spiritually mature leader
Criteria for Network Membership
- Hold active RN license and personal liability coverage
- Attend the Faith Community Nurse Foundations Course and required Network meetings
- Comply with state and Faith Community Nurse Standards of Practice
- Give an average of 8 or more hours monthly to build the program
- Document with web-based tool and report activities to measure outcomes
- Promote policy change in your congregation
- Build a culture of health and wholeness within the congregation/community
To learn more about Faith Community Nursing, contact us at 402-343-4395.